Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Wisdom Teeth...

is God's way of saying, "I really don't like you. Haha!"
I mean seriously, it has to be. Getting my wisdom teeth removed was the most painful experience I have ever been through. I had not one, but four impacted wisdom teeth. I remember feeling my gums with my tongue and feeling something hard trying to make its way through the surface. I kind of knew these had to be my wisdom teeth coming in. I went to the oral surgeon and got x-rays taken, which verified my feelings about my sore gums. My dentist told me I could be put under anesthesia or have laughing gas which was less expensive. I didn't think it was necessary for me to be put to sleep, so I chose the nitrous oxcide. He also said since my wisdom teeth were impacted he would have to use a bone saw, which he would later fix with dissovable stitches. Just the word bone saw was enough to make freaked out.
The day finally came when I was scheduled to have my unnecessary cave men teeth to be removed. First, a nurse came to give me shots in my gums to numb them. Then came the nitrous oxcide. The best part of the whole procedure. The nitrous oxcide instantly relaxed my fears and I was just in my own little zone. My surgeon came in and when I heard the buzz of the scary sharp saw I got really scared. Then all of a sudden a heard a tear, which was my gum, being ripped open. I could feel blood dripping down my chin. The sound of my flesh being sawed open must have been pretty hilarious since I started laughing...and laughing. My surgeon had to stop and asked why I was laughing. I told him I wasn't sure but the sound of the saw agaisnt my gums is pretty funny. He then said, "Better than drugs, and it's legal." So, now I understand why nitrous oxicide is sometimes called laughing gas.

No comments: